- Reviewed the requirements for secondary containment and cathodic
protection systems to be included in an engineering standard for a
- Continued an inspection/maintenance improvement program for
atmospheric storage tanks for a European refiner.
- Continued providing engineering support for an
inspection/maintenance improvement program for atmospheric storage
tanks for a European refiner.
- Provided aboveground storage tank bottom repair and replacement
recommendations at multiple locations.
- Carried out a review of the structural integrity of several
storage tanks for a domestic refiner.
- Issued a report that provides recommendations to help determine
appropriate criteria for determining the type of repair or replacement
strategy to be used for the bottoms of aboveground atmospheric storage
tanks [e.g., nothing, partial repair, replace in-kind, or upgrade
(such as internal lining, cathodic protection system, double-bottom,
etc.)]. This report was part of a two-year program to make significant
improvements in the maintenance and reliability of aboveground
atmospheric storage tanks at a major refinery in Europe.
- Mechanical and materials engineering support was provided
regarding replacement of a storage tank bottom. The existing bottom
had experienced severe corrosion issues over several years, actually
holing through in less than five years after previous major repairs
were done. A technical specification was provided for a new double
bottom design with a cathodic protection system, and an alternate
approach that did not involve installing a double bottom.