- Independent audits were provided of the lifting plans that were
developed by mechanical contractors at several locations, both in the
US and overseas. These “heavy lifts” typically involved the
replacement of FCCU Reactor and/or Regenerator vessel heads and
associated cyclone and plenum chamber systems. The objective of these
reviews was to help ensure that these lifts would be carried out in a
safe and reliable manner. In all cases, the lifts were successfully
carried out without incident.
- Reviewed the lift plans developed by a refinery, their mechanical
contractor, and crane contractor for replacement of the top head and
cyclones of an FCCU Regenerator vessel. The review consisted of
reviewing the lift plan itself, along with a civil engineering review
of the crane foundation design and calculations, and mechanical
engineering review of the vessel attachment designs and supporting
calculations. Various recommendations were provided in each area, and
the lift proceeded without incident.
- Provided onsite assistance in the initial review of overall
equipment lift plans and procedures for a major capital project
currently underway in the Far East. Follow-up detailed review activity
is anticipated as specific equipment lift plans are developed by the
- Provided heavy lift, civil, and mechanical engineering consulting
support to a US client for their planned FCCU vessel head/cyclone
replacement. While the contractor’s overall plans were found to be
acceptable, recommendations were made in several areas that resulted
in several changes being made to some design and procedural details in
order to carry out a safe and successful lift.
- Completed reviews of plans for several critical lifts for refining
clients. These reviews focused on identifying potential concerns
regarding safety, scheduling, and cost.
- Assisted a domestic refinery for a major oil company in reviewing
crane usage procedures for three different cranes in three different
services during a turnaround and revamp project construction.
- Assisted a Canadian refiner in reviewing crane usage manual for a
major multi-step move (in parts) of a large crude distillation tower
during a revamp project. A number of issues related to crane usage
safety were summarized in the final report.
- Carried out several heavy lift “cold-eyes” reviews and developed
and presented training material on proper crane lift procedures for a
number of clients in North America and the Far East.
- Completed heavy lift reviews and conducted project management
services for the repair of coke drum support foundations for several
clients in the Gulf Coast Region.